Thursday, February 9, 2012

Selling the Drama


So, for anyone who reads my other blog, My Life and Ice Cream, you might have noticed my original posts about this whole topic. I decided to change this whole thing over to a separate blog because I realized what a huge undertaking this actually is after posting two long blogs in one night without ever even getting to the beginning of my point. And I also want to have this collected in a separate area. I'm not sure how long the 100 Proof Jesus thing is going to go on, but I feel like it's going to detract from my daily ranting and make things too serious. If you're just tuning in to this one, you can find my other blog here:

http://somewordsisaid.blogspot.com/


Okay, so this blog is going to be a pretty huge undertaking. Let me start by saying this is neither a proof for or against religion. It's just a breakdown of arguments used by both sides of the coin. It's also an educational trip on proper debating/arguing and my own opinion of theism and atheism. I am not an expert in any field.

To begin with, I'm going to cite my own credentials for stating the following quagmire of crap. First of all, I'm finishing up my junior year in Mechanical Engineering. This means I've studied many of the principle laws by which our current concept of physics is based. This is an important factor in debating with Atheism. Secondly, I've had at least one course in Logic in which I excelled. This doesn't really account for much, but it will come into play. Third, I sit around and do a LOT of thinking. That's probably the most important thing - actually using your brain and arguing with yourself until you develop an acute case of schizophrenia.

So, to begin the discussion, let's examine my reason for bringing it up. Over the past decade, I've observed a change within the Atheist movement. It's becoming more widely accepted and people aren't afraid to say they don't believe in a superior being. Don't worry, if you're an Atheist, I'm going to come back to explaining the actual Atheist view in proper detail. For now, let's keep it simple and just say Atheists don't believe in a higher power. Now, about the Atheist movement. Since we've broken down the walls of calling people stupid for asserting logic to their religious beliefs (for the most part), Atheists are more free to be outspoken about their beliefs.

Yes, beliefs. Don't start that crap about "Atheists don't have beliefs! That's the whole point!" That's a fairly assinine argument I've heard a lot. You believe in science, logic, etc. You have beliefs because a belief is just simply something someone accepts as true. If you can't follow that point, please stop reading here and now. And please do not reproduce.

Now, I'm going to dispel one thought on where someone might go with this. Despite that Atheism is based on a set of beliefs (that of logic and science), it is NOT a religion. In fact, you can look up the Merriam-Webster definition and see that it is, in fact, an antonym of religion.

Back to the point. Over the past several years, I've noticed that it's becoming commonplace for Atheists to pick on theists. Call it a role reversal. What bothers me about this is that because it's easy for logic and reason to defy many traditional beliefs, people are easily ridiculed for holding traditional religious ideas. The further assertion of Atheism is that there is no god or gods. This assertion is a bad argument because there's no proof that there is no higher power. Just stay with me on this, I know how cliche that sounds. What happens is that theists convert to atheism because it is easily defended, but more importantly, they don't risk ridicule. This converting is what I've witnessed a lot of lately. I call it bandwagon Atheism. Furthermore, the common assertion I see from the Atheist movement is that theists are ignorant and nothing short of delusional. Which is why I think many people convert. Not because they actually think through the logical argument for and against with proper knowledge, but simply for avoiding ridicule. So, as a theist, I'm a bit irked by this attitude. And I see it everywhere these days. It's nothing short of shoving Atheist beliefs down my throat everywhere I go. So, that's why I'm taking on this blog.

As I said, I need to go back and explain what Atheism actually is. This is VERY important to understand for the purpose of this blog. First of all, Atheism is not to claim that a "god" does not exist. It is to simply claim that the concept of such a being is so highly improbable that they choose not to believe in it. If I said that invisible unicorns exist, you would call bullshit. But they're invisible. YOU can't see them, but they exist! You simply regard the prospect as ridiculously unbelievable (because there's no evidence whatsoever and everything you know about reality tells you it's retarded). This is a good example of the Atheistic view of what theists consider a god. So, Atheists cannot PROVE that there is no "god", but the idea is so far outside the realm of reality that they find it ridiculously improbable. In the same sense that you realize that if I properly define invisible unicorns so that they only exist to people who believe in them, Atheists cannot perceive of a god. There's just no credible evidence. Or is there?

So the debate begins. I think I'll make that a second part to this blog. This thing is already a challenge to read through. So, maybe later tonight, I'll post part two. Possibly next week. I have to be out of town tomorrow after classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment